Shear Centre - Mono-Symmetric Section
Notation and Units
Metric and Imperial Units
The above formulas may be used with both imperial and metric units. As with all calculations care must be taken to keep consistent units throughout with examples of units which should be adopted listed below:
- b = width of flange under consideration, in or mm
- c = distance to shear centre, in or mm
- h = height of section (to centre of flanges), in or mm
- N/A = neutral axis
- t = flange thickness under consideration, in or mm
- A.C. Ugural, S.K. Fenster. Advanced Strength and Applied Elasticity. Elsevier, USA. 1975. Print.
- A.K. Singh. Mechanic of Solids. Indian Institute of Technology. New Delhi. 2007. Print.
- Engineering core courses. (2016). Solid mechanics II: C3 transverse shear. Retrieved from http://www.engineeringcorecourses.com/solidmechanics2/C3-transverse-shear/C3.2-shear-centre/example/
- H.A. Nageim, F. Durka, W. Morgan, D.T. Williams. Strutural mechanics: Loads, analysis, materials and design of structural elements. London. 2010. Print.
- T.V. Galambos. Stability design criteria for Metal Structures. New York. 1998. Print.