Shear Centre - Channel Section
Notation and Units
Metric and Imperial Units
The above formulas may be used with both imperial and metric units. As with all calculations care must be taken to keep consistent units throughout with examples of units which should be adopted listed below:
- b = width of flange (to centre of web), in or mm
- c = distance to shear centre, in or mm
- h = height of section (to centre of flanges), in or mm
- I = second moment of area, in4 or mm4
- N/A = neutral axis
- t = flange thickness, in or mm
- A.C. Ugural, S.K. Fenster. Advanced Strength and Applied Elasticity. Elsevier, USA. 1975. Print.
- A.K. Singh. Mechanic of Solids. Indian Institute of Technology. New Delhi. 2007. Print.
- H.A. Nageim, F. Durka, W. Morgan, D.T. Williams. Strutural mechanics: Loads, analysis, materials and design of structural elements. London. 2010. Print.
- Mishra, G. (2019). What is shear center-location of shear center with examples. The Constructor Civil Engineering [blog article]. Retrieved from https://theconstructor.org/structural-engg/shear-center/3677/
- P.K. Ghimire. Laboratory manual on mechanic of solids. Nepal. 1999. Institute of Engineering Manual.
- T.V. Galambos. Stability design criteria for Metal Structures. New York. 1998. Print.