Linear Volume Expansion - Thermal Expansion
Notation and Units
Metric and Imperial Units
The above formulas may be used with both imperial and metric units. As with all calculations care must be taken to keep consistent units throughout with examples of units which should be adopted listed below:
- V = volume, in4 or mm4
- VF = final volume, in4 or mm4
- ∆T = change in temperature, ᵒK or ᵒC
- ∆V = change in volume, in4 or mm4
- α = coefficient of thermal expansion, ᵒK-1 or ᵒC-1
- LD Didacting GmbH. Measuring the linear expansion of solids as function of temperature. Germany. Published in "LD Physics Leaflets".
- R.Hogan. How to calculate Thermal Epansion. US. 2019. Publised in "https://www.isobudgets.com/how-to-calculate-linear-thermal-expansion-for-measurement-uncertainty/".