Pressure Vessel - Longitudinal Stress
Notation and Units
Metric and Imperial Units
The above formulas may be used with both imperial and metric units. As with all calculations care must be taken to keep consistent units throughout with examples of units which should be adopted listed below:
- σH = hoop stress, psi or MPa
- P = pressure under consideration, psi or MPa
- Pi = internal pressure, psi or MPa
- Po = external pressure, psi or MPa
- r = radius to point of of interest, in or mm
- ri = internal radius, in or mm
- ro = external radius, in or mm
- t = wall thickness, in or mm
- S. Yazar. On the Yielding of Two-Layer Composite Spherical Pressure Vessels. Ankara, Turkey. 2016. Published in "Journal of Polytecnic, Atilim University".
- Y. Öztürk. Analysisi of Axisymmetrically Loaded Cylindrical and Spherical Ressure Vessels for various Loading Conditions". Monterey, California. 1972. Print.