Typical Properties for Various Rocks
Notation and Units
Metric and Imperial Units
The above values have been provided with both imperial and metric units. As with all calculations care must be taken to keep consistent units throughout. Additional information has been provided below.
- ρ = bulk density (the ratio of the total mass to the total volume), ib/ft3 or kg/m3
- E = elastic modulus, ksi or MPa
- Alden, A. (2019, September 02). Densities of common rocks and minerals [blog article]. ThoughtCo. Retrieved from https://www.thoughtco.com/densities-of-common-rocks-and-minerals-1439119
- J. Schön, Physical Properties of Rocks, Volume 65: Fundamentals and Principles of Petrophysics. Netherlands. 2015. Print.
- J. Schön. Physical Properties of Rocks, Volume 8: Handbook of Petroleum Exploration and Production. Netherlands. 2011. Print.
- Manual of Applied Geology for Engineers. London. 1976. Print.
- Padhi, S. (2015, February 13). Modulus of elasticity of rock. Civilblog.org. Retrieved from https://civilblog.org/2015/02/13/what-are-the-values-of-modulus-of-elasticity-poissons-ratio-for-different-rocks/