Metals/Alloys - Elastic and Shear Modulus
Elastic and Shear Modulus
The mechanical properties of steels and alloys are a result from not only the chemical composition, but also their methods of manufacture. The potential for quality, durability and performance of materials are valuable to the structural designer who may want to consider a variety of different materials for a design. It can't be stressed enough that the provided data is a guide only and a good engineer will seek guidance from the manufacturer.
The Elastic or Young's modulus ( E ) describes tensile elasticity, or the tendency of an object to deform along an axis when opposing forces are applied along that axis; it is defined as the ratio of tensile stress to tensile strain.
Shear Modulus or the Modulus of Rigidity is the coefficient of elasticity for a shearing or torsion force. It is defined as the ratio of shear stress to shear strain.
- A. Love. A Treatise on the Mathematical Theory of Elasticity, Volume 1. Cambridge. 1982. Print.
- Aerospace Specification Metals (ASM). (2019). AISI Type 304 stainless steel AISI type. Retrieved from http://asm.matweb.com/search/SpecificMaterial.asp?bassnum=mq304a
- Amesweb. (2019). Modulus of elasticity for metals. Retrieved from https://www.amesweb.info/Materials/Modulus-of-Elasticity-Metals.aspx#targetText=Modulus%20of%20elasticity%20(or%20also,59%20x%20106%20psi).&targetText=If%20the%20Young%20modulus%20of%20metal%20is%20greater%2C%20it's%20stiffer.
- AzoM. (2012, September 13). Yellow brass UNS C27000. Retrieved from https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6361
- AzoM. (2012, September 20). UNS C83400 Copper Casting Alloy. Retrieved from https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=6469
- AzoM. (2013, August 13). Tin. Retrieved from https://www.azom.com/article.aspx?ArticleID=9120
- AzoM. (2001, July 20). An insight to cadmium. Retrieved from https://www.azom.com/properties.aspx?ArticleID=589
- AzoM. (2001, July 20). Gold- Properties and Applications of gold. Retrieved on https://www.azom.com/properties.aspx?ArticleID=598
- AzoM. (2001, July 21). An introduction to iron. Retrieved from https://www.azom.com/properties.aspx?ArticleID=619
- AzoM. (2001, July 21). Silver – applications and properties of silver. Retrieved from https://www.azom.com/properties.aspx?ArticleID=600
- AzoM. (2001. September 13). Stainless steel-grade 316 (UNS S31600). Retrieved from https://www.azom.com/properties.aspx?ArticleID=863
- E-Z LOK. (2019). Brass mechanical properties. Retrieved from https://www.ezlok.com/brass-properties
- Marmetal Industries, LLC. (2018). C61400 Aluminum Bronze. Retrieved from https://elginfasteners.com/resources/materials/material-specifications/aluminum-bronze/
- N.F. Mott, H. Jones. The Theory of the Properties of Metals and Alloys. Dover Publications, USA. 1958. Print.
- P.A. McQuay, V.K. Sikka. Encyclopedia of Materials: Science and Technology, 2001. Print.
- R. Steiner. AMS Metals Handbook: Volume 1. Properties and Selection: Irons, Steerls and Hihg-Performance Alloys. Ohio. 1990. Print.